PROOFS FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
1. JESUS CHRIST - A HISTORICAL PERSON
The figure of Jesus Christ is the greatest proof of the existence of God. His love, wisdom, death on the cross, resurrection, and the multitude of miracles he performed (healings, deliverances, resurrections, multiplication of bread, reading minds, walking on water, and others) are irrefutable proofs of the existence of God. The figure of Jesus is confirmed by the books of the New Testament (27 books), the Apocrypha, as well as by many ancient non-biblical chroniclers: Josephus, Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Suetonius, Tallus and Phlegon, Mara Bar-Serapion, Lucian of Samosata, Philosopher Celsus and the authors of the Jewish Talmud. (link historicity of Jesus)
Even our era dates from the time of Christ’s coming (AC – after Christ and BC – before Christ)
2. THE BIBLE - THE RELIABLE WORD OF GOD
The following arguments support the credibility of the Bible as the Word of God:
By far the most manuscripts among ancient works, manuscript coherence, complex verification of the Bible canon, Jewish history and culture, consistency with historical events, fulfilled prophecies, wisdom of transmission, over 5 billion copies sold, translations into over 1,500 languages and more.
(more – is the Bible real?)
3. MIRACLES (GOD'S ACTION)
a) HEALINGS – God healed and heals even today. There are many Christians in the churches and on the streets of the world who pray for the sick, and they recover health directly as a result of prayer. (God heals in many other ways, of course.) This is very direct evidence of God’s work that you can read and see hundreds of testimonials, medical evidence, etc. If you look for Christians who pray for the sick (e.g. in Protestant churches) , will certainly provide you with the opportunity to experience or see with your own eyes the miracle of healing. God heals the sick physically, mentally and addicted.
b) RELEASE FROM DEMONS – similarly as above. Many people experience spiritual problems that can manifest as depression, suicidal thoughts, neuroses, family problems, curse over the family, mental problems, demonic oppression, ghosts, voices and other unpleasant phenomena. Exorcisms, casting out demons is real in the life of Christians and you can easily find information about it.
c) BIRTH AND PREGNANCIES – numerous testimonials of pregnancy, carrying to term and happy childbirth, which from the medical point of view should not take place, are further proofs of the existence of God.
d) GIFT OF TONGUES – the so-called glossolalia. We read about it in the Bible, when people received the Holy Spirit, the supernatural gift of tongues was the most common sign of this. Many believers in churches today also have this gift. (example Youtube video)
e) FORGIVENESS – the experience of forgiveness of sins as a result of repentance before God is very clear and many Christians testify to it. The feeling of peace, freedom and weight relief is very tangible. The same is true of water baptism.
e) other supernatural miracles, manifestations of God’s action: prophetic gift, dreams and visions, experience of conversation with God, light, supernatural peace, joy, etc.
4. FULFILLED BIBLE PROPHECIES
There are many prophecies in the Bible that have already been fulfilled. They concern the fall and rise of nations, kings, and the destruction of cities. Much has to do with the coming of the Messiah. You can read more in the Is the Bible Real tab.
1. A descendant in the line of King David (Jeremiah 33:14-15)
2. Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:1)
3. Born of a Virgin (Isaiah 7:14)
4. Lived in Capernaum (in the land of Zebulun and Naphtali), (Isaiah 8:23-9:1)
5. The Great Wisdom of Jesus' Teachings (Isaiah 11:1-5)
6. Speaking in Parables (Psalms 78:1-2)
7. Reproach and Rejection by the Jews (Psalms 69:8-9)
8. Entering Jerusalem on a Donkey (Zechariah 9:9)
9. Betrayed by a Friend (Psalms 41:10)
10. Sold for Thirty Pieces of Silver (Zechariah 11:13-13)
11. Humble until death (Isaiah 53:7)
12. Abandonment by the Disciples (Psalms 69:21)
13. Mocking at the Crucifixion (Psalms 22:8-9)
14. Killed as a criminal (Isaiah 53, 12)
15. The Piercing of Hands and Feet (Psalms 22:17-18)
16. Parting the garments and casting lots for the garment (Psalms 22:19)
17. Gall and Vinegar to Drink (Psalms 69:22)
18. No Bone Broken (Psalms 34:21)
19. The Piercing of the Side (Zechariah 12:11)
20. Words spoken just before death (Psalms 22:1)
21. Eclipse of the Sun After Jesus' Death (Amos 8:9)
22. Buried with the Rich (Isaiah 53:9)
23. The Resurrection of Jesus (Psalms 16:9-11)
1. Prophecies about the fall of the city of Petra (formerly Sela) in the region of the ancient name of Seir (Edom) - (Jer. 49:16) (Ezek. 35:1-15) (Isa. 34:9-15) (Jer. 49 :18.)
The above prophecy regarding Petra has been fulfilled. A new trade route was selected in favor of Palmyra. Petra's trade dies. Also in 363, a powerful earthquake destroyed many buildings as well as the city's water supply system.
2. On the Fall of Babylon (Isaiah 13:17-22)
God foretold its fall and also foretold that it would never be rebuilt. The prophecy spells out exactly who will wreak havoc. For many centuries, the prophecy seemed unfulfilled. Until night fell, the Medes and Persians entered the city and Babylon fell. Babylon, the mightiest city in the world, the capital of the nation that enslaved God's people, was forgotten. As the Prophet said, "It will never be rebuilt."
3. Fall of Tyre
(Ezekiel 28) (Ezekiel 26:3-19)
In 586 BC, King Nebuchadnezzar attacked and destroyed Tire as prophesied. But the people fled to a nearby island with their belongings and treasures. For 240 years, the city of Tire lay in ruins, and the inhabitants of the island still lived. Finally, Alexander the Great sent his army to Tyre, but found it in ruins, and he could not get to the island because the locals fortified it with an extensive water barrier. However, he did not give up. He devised a plan: he decided to build a wall leading from the mainland to the island. Building materials were taken from the ruins of the city of Tyre. The army threw the whole city into the sea. They even scraped off the sand until only bare rock remained. So the prophecy was fulfilled, and the city of Tire was flat and bare as a top of a rock, and "great waters" covered it.
4. Sometime before 500 BC, the prophet Daniel announced that Israel's long-awaited Messiah* would begin his public ministry 483 years after the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (Dan. 9:25-26). Furthermore, he prophesied that the Messiah would be "destroyed", killed, and that this event would occur before the second destruction of Jerusalem. There is abundant evidence that these prophecies were fully fulfilled in the life (and crucifixion) of Jesus Christ. The decree to rebuild Jerusalem was issued by the Persian king Artaxerxes to the Hebrew priest Ezra in 458 BC. 483 years later, Jesus Christ began his public ministry in Galilee. (It should be noted here that due to the calendar changes, most historians date the beginning of Christ's ministry to 26 A.D. Also, there is a one-year gap between 1 B.C. and 1 A.D.) The Crucifixion of Jesus It happened only a few years later, four decades later, in AD 70. Jerusalem has been destroyed.
5. The prophet Isaiah prophesied that a conqueror named Cyrus would destroy the seemingly impregnable Babylon and conquer Egypt and most of the then known world. Isaiah said that the same man would allow the exiled Jews to return freely to their land without paying ransom (Isaiah 44:28; 45:1 and 45:13). Isaiah recorded this prophecy 150 years before Cyrus was born, 180 years before Cyrus did these things (Cyrus actually did all of them), and 80 years before the expulsion of the Jews.
6. Joshua prophesied that Jericho would be rebuilt by one man. He also said that this man's eldest son would die when construction began, and his younger son would die when it was completed (Joshua 6:26). Some five centuries later, his prophecy was fulfilled in the life and history of the Chiela Bethel family (1 Kings 16:33-34).
7. An unnamed prophet of God (probably Shimea) said that a future king of Judah named Josiah would collect the bones of all the mystical priests of King Jeroboam ("priests of the high places") of Israel and burn them on the altar on the day of Jeroboam (1 Kings 13:2 and 2 Books Kings 23:15-18). This event took place about 300 years after it was foretold.
8. Prophecies about the Babylonian captivity, about the expulsion of the Israelites, about the plagues that will befall them for turning away from God.
God through the prophets has been warning Israel of this for centuries - from Moses to the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel and other prophets.
The Babylonian captivity or exile refers to the period in Israel's history when the Jewish people were held captive by the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar II. This is an important period in biblical history because the captivity/expulsion of the Jews and the return and rebirth were the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies. God used Babylon as an instrument to judge Israel for idolatry and rebellion against God. This period (607-586 BC) actually consisted of several distinct periods when the Jews were taken captive by Babylon. With successive revolts against Babylonian rule, Nebuchadnezzar led his army against Judah until they besieged Jerusalem for over a year, killing many and destroying the Jewish temple, capturing thousands of Jews, and reducing Jerusalem to ruins.
The Jews will return to Jerusalem after 70 years of exile, as the Bible prophesied. This prophecy was fulfilled in 537 B.C. when the Israelites returned to Israel with permission from the Persian king Cyrus and began rebuilding the city and temple. The return led by Ezra led to the rebirth of the Jewish people and the rebuilding of the Temple.
9. The prophecy of the Lord Jesus about siege of the Jerusalem . Also about the great tribulation that will come before the generation living in His time passes away.
While Jesus was walking out of the temple, the disciples approached him to show him the buildings of the temple. But He said to them: Do you see all this? Verily I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another that shall not be thrown down. (Mt 24:1, Mk 13:2, Lk 21:6).
The prophecies were soon fulfilled by the Romans.
5. Spiritual Phenomena and Occultism
Examples of occultism: divination, clairvoyance, prophecy, summoning spirits, hypnosis, out of body, possessed houses, various types of trances, curses over people, families, voodoo and others.
Other paranormal phenomena: the so-called rest in the Holy Spirit, clinical death
And objects and places with inexplicable properties, genesis.
6. DISCIPLES OF JESUS
The apostles and especially Christians in the first centuries suffered severe persecution for their faith. Sources say that as many as 11/12 apostles died a martyr’s death (they were crucified, sawn, stoned, hanged, flayed alive, beheaded, pierced).
Throughout history, there have been millions of Christians who were ready to sacrifice material things, health, and even life for their faith. Even today, in many countries, martyrs face persecution and even the death penalty because of their faith. God in the lives of many of these people was and is so tangible that they do not hesitate to give their lives for faith. (link persecution of Christians today)
8. ANSWERS TO PRAYERS
The proof of God’s existence is the answers to prayers. Everyone who has experienced it and experiences it begins to understand that there are no accidents here, but there is a God who listens.
Examples: help in getting from place to place, material, food and financial supplies, meeting people willing to help, solving various problems, reconciling with people, finding the right job, sending an idea for solving a certain issue and others.
a) SPIRITUALITY – no animal has ever been caught worshiping God, and man has.
b) UNIQUE HUMAN CHARACTERISTICS: bipedalism and upright posture, residual hair, depressed larynx, menopause, hidden ovulation, imagination, abstract thinking.
c) MOMODY / SHAME – people are the only creatures in the world who blush. Scientists cannot fully explain this phenomenon.
d) NUDITY – man is the only being in the world who is ashamed of his nakedness. We read in the Bible how this happened.
e) CONSCIENCE – man, unlike animals, has been equipped with a conscience. This enables him to distinguish between good and evil. Everyone experiences feelings of remorse.
f) MARKED WITH ORIGINAL SIN: everyone is born with a tendency to sin. From an early age, children lie, cheat, have anger, aggression, etc. Further, these tendencies do not subside, a person only controls himself better. For the same reason man has pride, he is hard to bear criticism, he has great difficulty in admitting his fault, in apologizing, in humbling himself. (more – what is original sin)
10. THE WORK OF CREATION
a) COSMOS, ENORMOUS SIZE of the world and universe.
Mirosław Hermaszewski – the only Pole who was in space said: “I don’t know anyone who was a believer and returned from there an atheist, but I know people who went to space as non-believers and returned with faith. Here I have mainly thinking of colleagues from the East. In fact, 95 percent of Soviet cosmonauts were converted.” John Glenn said, “To look at this kind of creature and not believe in God is, in my opinion, impossible.” Neil Armstrong: “I felt the power of God. I felt it in a way I’ve never felt before.” Few know that during the Apollo 11 mission, before the astronauts went to the moon, they shared the Lord’s Supper.
b) ORDER: in which the world functions, the orbit of planets around the sun, stars, the sun, the water cycle in nature, seasons, the laws of physics and others.
c) BEAUTY: colors, flavors, sounds, warmth, landscapes, variety of food and others.
d) LIFE: reproduction, maturation, maturation of children in the mother’s womb, childbirth.
e) THE WORLD OF PLANTS AND ANIMALS: science so far cannot explain a lot of animal and plant behavior, we can read about many fascinating phenomena and watch nature films. The diversity of fauna and flora is also another argument for the brilliant Creator.
f) DNA CODE: our body has been programmed with its development since conception, isn’t it fascinating?
g) COMPLEXITY OF THE HUMAN BRAIN
11. ARCHEOLOGY AND HISTORY
|Mari tablets||Over 20,000 cuneiform tablets dating from the time of Abraham explain many of the patriarchal traditions set forth in the book of Genesis.|
|Ebla tablets||Over 20,000 tablets, many of which contain laws similar to those found in Deuteronomy. The tablets mention five cities in Genesis 14 that were previously thought to be fictitious – Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zeboim, and Zoar.|
|Nuzi Tablets||They present in detail the customs prevailing in the 15th and 19th centuries BC, which coincide with the accounts of the patriarchs, such as the custom of replacing infertile wives as mothers by their servants.|
|Black stele||Provides evidence that writing and written laws existed three hundred years before the Mosaic Law.|
|Walls of Karnak Temple, Egypt||Contains a reference to Abraham dating back to the 10th century BC.|
Code of Eshunna (c. 1950 BC)
Code of Lipitishtar (c. 1860 B.C.)
Code of Hammurabi (c. 1700 BC)
|These findings prove that the legal code of the Pentateuch was not very advanced for the time period it dates from.|
|Ras Shamra Tablets||Contains information about Hebrew poetry.|
|Letters from Lachish||These describe Nebuchadnezzar’s invasion of Judah and provide information to help better understand Jeremiah’s time period.|
|Seal of Gedaliah||Mentions the Gedaliah mentioned in 2 Kings 25:22.|
|Cyrus Cylinder||Affirms the authenticity of the biblical account of Cyrus’ decree that allowed the Jews to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem (see 2 Chronicles 36:23; Ezra 1:2-4) .|
|Moabite Stone||Contains information about Omri, the sixth king of Israel.|
|Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser III||Shows the homage paid to the king of Assyria by Jehu, king of Israel.|
|Taylor’s Prism Stele||Contains Assyrian text depicting Sennacherib’s attack on Jerusalem in the time of Hezekiah, king of Israel.|
|Seal of Isaiah|
|Hezekiah’s Seal||Belonging to Hezekiah, son of Ahaz, king of Judah” – this is the sensational inscription on a recently found seal. The 8th century BC find is unique in that it is the first seal of any king of Judah or Israel to be found during regular scientific excavations at an archaeological site (in situ).|
|Prior allegations from critics||ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXPLANATIONS|
|Moses could not have written the Pentateuch because he lived in a pre-writing era.||Writing existed several hundred years before Moses.|
|Abraham’s hometown of Ur never existed.||Archaeologists have discovered the ruins of the city of Ur. On one of the columns there was an inscription “Abram”.|
|The city built on rock, “Petra”, never existed.||Archaeologists have discovered the ruins of this city.|
|The story of the capture of Jericho is a myth. The city never existed.||Archaeologists found the ruins of this city and excavated. The walls of Jericho were found to have collapsed exactly as described in the biblical account.|
|“Hittite” never existed.||Hundreds of descriptions and mentions of the remarkable Hittite civilization have been found. You can now even get a PhD in Hittite civilization from the University of Chicago.|
|Belshazzar was not the true king of Babylon; he is not mentioned in any chronicle.||Tablets discovered in the area of ancient Babylon describe the reign of Belshazzar as co-regent and son of Nabonidus.|
Other archaeological facts:
– finding Mount Sinai, where God gave Moses stone tablets. The mountain is burned at the top as described in the Bible. (Mount Sinai youtube)
– finding Noah’s Ark in the Ararat Mountains in Turkey. (Noah’s Ark).
– archaeological research has also confirmed the existence of 53 rulers mentioned in the Bible (link)
What history says about the oldest civilizations is close in time and geographically to the version of the creation of the world contained in the Bible. They originated in an area called the Fertile Crescent, which includes the lower Nile valley, the eastern shores of the Mediterranean, and the Euphrates and Tigris basins. These are the civilizations of the Sumerians and the Egyptians.
Traditions, Jewish holidays, great personalities (Moses, King David, King Solomon and others), the law of Moses and many other things cannot be explained other than in the biblical records.
12. MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS
Mathematical studies of the Bible
Mathematician Ivan Panin studied the Bible mathematically for 40 years. He showed that the Bible (in its original languages) is a product of a mathematical super-intellect beyond human capabilities. He provided the Nobel Foundation with 43,000 pages of notes along with a statement that it is proof that the Bible is the Word of God.
Until now, many people who tried to understand God intellectually, could not simultaneously combine features such as love and justice, or the fact that he is in three people or in several places at once. The experiments of quantum physics also confirm many phenomena that contradict rationality.
Also worth mentioning here are many curiosities related to the Pi number or the Fibonacci sequence.