WHAT IS WATER BAPTISM?
Meaning of the word
The Greek word το βάπτισμα , which comes from the Greek verb βαπτίζειν , used in the New Testament for baptism means immersion of the body .
Baptism gives New Life in the Lord Jesus, in his body. The baptized person is given a completely new identity as a child of God, a member of the body of Jesus Christ, heir of the Kingdom of God. The indebtedness, curses, and other matters concerning the old man are removed and “nailed to the cross.”
Baptism is immersion into the death of Jesus Christ and resurrection by God to a new life.
Baptism is being born again as a child of God, in God’s image. When we are born into the world, we are born in the image of our parents, and our parents in the image of theirs. The first man Adam was born in the image of God, but his children were born in the image of Adam, struck by the corruption of sin.
his is the book of the genealogy of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created. And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.
[Genesis 5:1-3 NKJV]
Baptism is the funeral of the old life
Baptism is the funeral of our old, dirty and sinful body and life! It is the death of an old man and being born again from water to a New Life. Biblical baptism is putting on Jesus Christ and joining His Body.
Baptism is not a symbol or tradition, but an entry into the Covenant
Baptism is not a symbol! The main essence and purpose of baptism is not a public confession / testimony of faith! (it is not found anywhere in the Bible) Baptism is entering into a covenant with God. It can be compared to a wedding: without marriage you are not spouse, same is with baptism. You can believe, love etc. but you are not a “spouse”, you are not officially in “papers”.
In the Bible, there was no question of procrastinating or postponing baptism until a collective event was organized, an important guest would come. This is so important that no one who decided to be baptized would delay! The prison guard or the royal eunuch were baptized immediately and it was not about public declaration of faith.
When a person who is all dirty realizes this and is bothered by it, they will immediately want to wash themselves. It is the same with water baptism! It is not advisable to postpone this step until later, for a better ceremony, for inviting guests. It is about washing away the dirt of the sinful body.
Baptism and sin
Without burying our old life in baptism, we cannot be completely free from sin. After baptism, on the other hand, we can experience the grace of freedom from sin and the actual possibility of getting rid of it.
Baptism does not remove the guilt of “original sin” because God doesn’t count the sins of our ancestors on our account. What we inherit from our ancestors is broken human nature. And this is what we get rid of after baptism into Jesus Christ. [mentioned e.g. in Ezekiel chapter 18, Deuteronomy 24:16]
WHO IS BAPTISM IN?
Baptism in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit or in the Name of Jesus?
- Jesus Christ is God, so the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit is JESUS . Reading the history of the apostles, you can see that the disciples knew this and baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ.
- Baptism is in the person of Jesus Christ. Biblically speaking, it is a dressing in Him / incorporation into His Body.
- It is no a ritual of inclusion in the organization, a testimony of faith or a declaration of membership. It is not about commemorative photos.
- After the resurrection, we read what the first disciples did in the book of Acts, where you can see at every step that they baptized in the Name of Jesus.
- The verse from Matthew 28:19 speaks of baptism in “Name” not “Names”.
[Acts 4:12 NKJV]
BAPTISM IN JESUS AND BAPTISM OF JOHN THE BAPTIST
Two different baptisms
The baptism that John the Baptist baptized is not the same baptism that disciples of Jesus been performing after his Resurrection! These baptisms are similar in form, but they are different in essence. Until Jesus died, there couldn’t be baptism into Jesus Christ because he had not yet died and was not resurrected. So the disciple could not be immersed in him in the likeness of his death.
The baptism of the Lord Jesus in Jordan was not exactly the same baptism that believers must be baptized with. It is not same baptism that Jesus disciples did after his resurrection. Baptism into Jesus was possible only after His death and resurrection.
Baptism into Jesus is equated with the Cross : death with the Lord on the cross, burying our “old man” with Him and rising to the New Life.
Bible verses about water baptism
[John 3:5 NKJV]
[1 Peter 3:21 NKJV]
Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
[Romans 6:3-8 NKJV]
In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
[Colossians 2:11-13 NKJV]
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
[Acts 2:38 NKJV]
[Galatians 3:26-27 NKJV]
Do I need to be baptized to be saved?
Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
[John 3:5 NKJV]
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
[Matthew 28:19 NKJV]
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
[Mark 16:16 NKJV]
1. Water baptism is necessary for salvation from sinThe second part of the sentence from Mark 16:16 does not mean that water baptism is not necessary for salvation! Baptism is an expression of faith. If someone tells you “Stop! The abyss is ahead of you” , if you believe him you will stop, and if you don’t – you will fall. You can’t believe and go into the abyss at the same time. Read the above passage like this: Whoever believes and stops – will not fall into the abyss. Those who do not believe will fall into the abyss. (Because if he does not believe, he will definitely not stop.) As with a wedding, whoever loves and gets married will be a spouse, and whoever does not love will not get married. Or: “If you believe me that smoking is harmful and you quit smoking – you will live, if you do not believe me, you will die because of it.”
2. Preaching the gospel also (and usually) is teaching about baptism in waterThe teaching of water baptism was something obvious among the disciples of Jesus (Acts). Preaching the gospel usualy ended with baptizing (without waiting) those who believed, or with their asking about geting baptized. (see Acts below under the heading “when to get baptized”).
3. A Christian / believer is in the Bible a person baptized into Jesus ChristThis is clearly seen in the letters. When Paul writes letters to a Galatian or Colossian believer, he always writes of baptism in the past form. (Colossians 2: 11-13 and 2: 21-23, Galatians 3: 26-27, Romans 6: 3-8)
4. Living Bible Faith is expressed by obedience – by deedThe Lord Jesus precisely commanded baptism in water. “A believer” in the Bible practically means “a person obeying God” and “a person Fearing God”. Such a person does not hesitate to carry out the command of the Lord Jesus.
5. Salvation only by grace
[Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJV]
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
[Matthew 7:21-23 NKJV]
And they will tell him that Salvation is not by works …
That is why we did not obey you, we did not do your will, we were not afraid of you …
We just believed in our head very much, professed faith, went to church, sang songs …
And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
[James 2:23-26 NKJV]
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR BAPTISM IN WATER?
1. Faith with all your heart in Jesus Christ.
[Acts 8:36-37 NKJV]
3. Full immersion in water.
4. Baptism into the person of Jesus Christ, His Name, Not just “baptism”, not baptism into an institution.
5. Own, conscious and free decision!
6. Understanding the sin in your life.
7. Mature age to meet the above requirements (in practice, usually over a dozen years).
SECOND BAPTISM / RE-BAPTISM?
Should I be baptized again?
What if you are in doubt that your baptism, which you have theoretically already had in your life, was actually a biblical baptism?
1. If the baptism you have received in your life deviates significantly from the above requirements, you should declare it invalid and be baptized in the biblical way into the Lord Jesus.
(e.g., infant baptism is not based on one’s own faith, one’s own decision, it is not by immersion, there is no understanding of sin. Even there is no sin because the infant inherits a corrupt nature, but You can’t blame him for sin.)
2. If smaller matters have not been done correctly, then you need to discern for yourself with God, with yourself, with other believers. God will reveal to you what to do! If this is going to torment you, better baptize yourself properly. If, on the other hand, you have peace for the fact that your baptism was correct, do not be baptized a second time.
WHEN TO BE BAPTIZED?
Examples from the Bible – Acts:
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” Then those who [m]gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them.
[Acts 2:38-41 NKJV]
But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
[Acts 8:12-16 NKJV]
A gdy jechali drogą, przybyli nad jakąś wodę. Wówczas eunuch powiedział: Oto woda; co stoi na przeszkodzie, żebym mógł być ochrzczony?
I powiedział Filip: Jeśli wierzysz z całego serca, możesz. A on odpowiedział: Wierzę, że Jezus Chrystus jest Synem Bożym. Kazał więc zatrzymać wóz. Obaj, Filip i eunuch, zeszli do wody i ochrzcił go.
[Dzieje Apostolskie 8:36-38]
[Acts 9:17-18 NKJV]
While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered, “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.
[Acts 10:44-48 NKJV]
[Acts 16:14-15 NKJV]
[Acts 16:30-34 NKJV]
[Acts 18:8 NKJV]
[Acts 18:25-26 NKJV]
And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism.” Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.” When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
[Acts 19:1-6 NKJV]
HOW TO BE BAPTIZED IN PRACTICE?
Option number 1: Attend a regular baptism organized by your local church. Find out if they are baptizing biblically. Often it is necessary to report to the pastor or elder, have an interview and possibly a short course.
Option 2: If possible, you can get baptized in water as part of a smaller home community, or you can ask a disciple of the Lord Jesus you know to help you. Baptism can take place in a swimming pool, by a lake, in a tub, in a garden pool, etc. Form is not the most important thing here.
Option 3: Email us that you want to be water baptized. We will talk, meet and, if there is such a desire, opportunity and God’s Will, we will carry out baptism under the conditions as in point 1 or 2.
Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
[Hebrews 6:1-2 NKJV]